Our History

1919 - 1950
1919

Giacomo Daldi and Luigi Matteucci open their first production facility

1920

The “Società Anonima F.lli Daldi and Matteucci” is established in Milan. The firm has been characterized by those pioneering aspect that every industrial initiative has at that time. The first patents and first inventions are developed.

1928

On 15 April the Joint-stock company “Officine Meccaniche F.lli Daldi and Matteucci” - simply named “DEMM" - is established in Milan in order to produce “general mechanical processing”.

1938

The construction of the Porretta Terme plant starts

1939

The 12,000-square-metre facility is open in Porretta Terme. Its workers are about 1000.

1942

Due to the Second World War, the facilities are temporarily moved to Intra (Verbania) on Lake Maggiore. Production of measuring instruments is started: calipers with different precision levels.

1944

By producing components and gears for aeronautics during WW II, DEMM gets reputation as "Supplier of war material". For this reason, on July 6th, 1944 Porretta Terme plant is bombed and almost completely destroyed.

1946

At the end of the WW II the reconstruction of the Porretta Terme plant begins. This reconstruction ends in 1947 and from that year on, DEMM mechanical production resumes at full speed.

1950

DEMM expands its business by starting the production of tools and machine tools.

1952 - 1980
1952

DEMM produces its first diesel fuel engine.

1953

DEMM starts the production of mopeds and motorcycles.

1956

On Monza circuit DEMM beats 24 world records with a 50 cc 2-stroke engine fitting a chassis called Siluro.

1960

DEMM wins the Italian Mountain Championship for motorbikes with two engines: a 50 cc 4-stroke DOHC and a 125 cc 4-stroke rods and rockers. Those victories are confirmed in subsequent editions of 1961, 1962 and 1963.

1980

The plant is improved and expanded to reach the current 30,000 covered square meters. At the same time, the decision is made to focus activity on the main objectives, namely the production of gears and the construction of machine tools. In those years the production of some components for Boeing and specifically for the 747 and 767 begins.

1985 - 2018
1985

The PAI Company of Atlanta becomes part of the shareholders, increasing internationalization

1991

The German company ZF, the largest global group in the production of transmissions, takes over the company and, with large investments, expands the product range.

1992

The “Machine Tools” division is acquired by PFAUTER, which decides to expand its product catalogue with DEMM slotting machines, whose designing and assembling remain in Porretta Terme.

1993

ZF sells DEMM to the PARITEL group.

2001

The company is acquired by GRAZIANO group, the Italian leader in the sector, which expands the Porretta Terme plant production, integrating such a facility into its organization and specializing its activity in specific products and processes.

2012

The company is acquired again by the PARITEL group, with the aim of bringing the DEMM brand back to the original equipment market, tightening new technological alliances and exploiting the synergies coming from the cooperation with other companies in the group.

2018

DEMM is acquired by the holding company Certina AG which decides to focus its activity on products that have historically marked the DEMM brand with the aim of repositioning it among the leading players in the sector.